Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Mathematical Riddle

My mom is spending the night. It's later than I'd like for them to go to bed, and so my Mom & I are rushing to get Andrew into his PJs and then mom is going to read to Andrew. Ali dances in the room while brushing her teeth and tells grandma a riddle: "A snail is trapped in a 10 foot well. Every day it climbs up 3 feet and then back down 2 feet. How many days until it gets out? I'll be back in a second to hear your answer" and she dances out the room.

Andrew stage whispers to my mom, "grandma, it's 7" (I don't think he understands, but he's heard Ali tell it 20 times now

(FYI - on day 7 it goes up 3 and then gets out before it drops down 2, get it?)).

1 comment:

Granny said...

A very good riddle, Ali! And well done Andrew, knowing the answer was 7! We enjoyed this story!